Thursday 27 November 2014

Bamboo Revisited: Trial and Error

I was looking forward to this bamboo lesson. How shouldn't I? I have seen incredible, sculptural, over-sized Ikebana arrangements from Sogetsu School using bamboo in amazing ways lately and I was more than ready to get some hands-on experience. You can see a few examples here showing the masters' work.

One of the end results of my trials and errors can be seen in the picture. The bamboo I used was a little bit drier than ideal so I couldn't get the curves I really wanted and had to content myself with what I could achieve.

I put two photos below to show you the hand tools we use to cut and separate the bamboo.

In addition to my struggle with bamboo, the beautiful flowers of ginger I happened to choose for this week was proved to be a difficult one to use. Anyhow, I am content with the process and the arrangement. 

For other bamboo arrangements you can check this earlier post and this one from 2013.



Bamboo cutting tool and hasami

Bamboo cutting tools






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...